As a sailing pinnace during the First World War, COLLIE was on general duties in Devonport Naval Dockyard. With 16 oars, two masts with bowsprit she was more than capable of helping ships to anchor, and to manoeuvre and transport crews from ship to shore. With her double diagonal planks hull construction (teak on oak) she was a heavy, tough workboat.
COLLIE was built circa 1890 by Thornycroft as a sailing pinnace for the Royal Navy. She was condemned in 1926, but was later re-designed and re-keeled to serve as a tug, before being converted to a fire boat during World War Two.
It was in this guise that she was sunk in 1942 by the Luftwaffe in Plymouth, whilst serving with H.M.S. HERMES. Again, she was condemned, but was re-instated into active service with the torpedo base, HMS DEFIANCE. She was finally decommissioned by the Navy in 1950.
Where is she now?
Collie is currently based at Oare Creek, Faversham, Kent and is available for training in navigation, pilotage and boat handling whilst also being used for filming, photography, observation and research
The Medway and Swale Boating Association