CAMBRIA is a spritsail sailing barge built in 1906 by William Everard of Greenhithe. She sailed from London and the Medway across the North Sea and English Channel to Rotterdam, Antwerp, Dunkirk, Calais and Le Treport, 30 km east of Dieppe.
The sailing barges reached their peak at the turn of the century. Between 1885 and 1910 they numbered about 2,100. They were used to transport everything from beer to hay for horses. By 1918 the number of barges had reduced to 1,650, although it was the arrival of motor transport that reduced the number rather than losses during the war.
Their numbers continued to decline, and by the start of the Second World War in 1939 the number had reduced further to 600.
CAMBRIA’s home ports were any harbours between the Humber and Cornwall. She carried a variety of cargoes, generally grain, cattle cake and rice, from London to Great Yarmouth and Norwich. One of the most frequent journeys was coal form Keadby on the river Trent, mainly for Harwich, Colchester and Margate gas works and other destinations on the Thames.
Her usual continental cargoes were pitch, coke, wheat and oil-cake.
Where is she now?
CAMBRIA is currently fully operational as a spritsail barge and is located at Faversham in Kent.
The famous sailing barge CAMBRIA: Restoration and Preservation.